My favorite part about this recipe is that it’s completely from scratch. It allows you to pick your own pumpkin you find most appetizing out of the bunch and bring it home as the base of your dish. For this recipe, I used a “pie pumpkin” that was quite small but we are only cooking for 2 in our house. Trust me, you guys are seriously going to love this soup.
The bulk of ingredients above. This recipe is vegetarian friendly and paleo friendly. You can’t go wrong!
A friendly tip: Roughly 2 Cups of cubed pumpkin is equal to 1 cup canned. You can also make the recipe with canned pumpkin but it eliminates the excitement of picking your our pumpkin to cook up and the feeling of accomplishment from cutting the pumpkin successfully without any injuries!
- 2 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Pumpkin- Cubed into about 3 cups
- 1 Onion- Diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 1/2 Cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 Cup Light Coconut Milk
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- 1 tbsp. Honey
- 1 tbsp. Salt
- 1 tbsp. Pepper
- 1/2 tbsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tbsp. Nutmeg
- 1/2 tbsp. All spice
- Optional: Shaved Coconut
- Preheat oven to 250 and spray baking sheet with coconut oil or your choice of oil. Line baking sheet with Pumpkin seeds and toss with with olive oil, salt and a dash of cinnamon.
- Add onion and garlic to dutch oven or large sauce pan over medium heat. Cook 5 minutes or until translucent and fragrant and reduce heat a bit.
- Add your spiced pumpkin seeds to the oven and cook for 10 minutes or until slightly toasted and browned. Set aside for garnish.
- Combine spices and add to dutch oven. Add cubed pumpkin, vegetable stock and coconut milk and bring to a steady simmer.
- Reduce heat and cook for additional 15 minutes at medium/low heat.
- Use a hand blender to puree the soup and continue to cook for an additional 5-10 minutes adding your preferred amount of seasoning to taste.
- Top with pumpkin seed garnish and optional coconut shavings. Serve while hot!
Let me know how you like the recipe and feel free to follow along on Pinterest, Facebook, and Instagram!