It all began with a trip to Cape Cod this past June for a weekend getaway. My husband and I found this adorable breakfast spot, The Salty Market, and proceeded to eat there every morning for the remainder of our trip. For my husband, it was the breakfast sandwiches that kept him coming back. For me, it was the granola parfaits. Their sweet and delicious granola parfaits. Their granola was different than the store bought granola you may have had in the past. It prompted me to want to make my own to try to replicate their mixture. My healthy homemade granola is a sweet reminder of our breakfasts among the market’s garden.
I should also mention this recipe includes nothing but natural sweeteners and some added healthy mix ins. The honey acts as a natural sweetener and the cinnamon adds a great flavor to the finished product. Oats themselves are filled with fiber and iron to aid with digestion and increasing your energy levels. The cherries add a tart yet sweet taste bursting with vitamins and minerals for your health.
You can enjoy this guilt free over your morning yogurt, in a bowl of fruit or as its own sweet snack.
- 5 Cups Rolled Oats
- 1 Cup Ground Flaxseeds
- 1 Tsp. Sea Salt
- 1 Tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Honey
- 1/2 Cup Unrefined Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tsp. Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Sliced Almonds
- 1 Cup Dried Cherries
- 1 Cup Pumpkin Seeds
- Parchment Paper
- Preheat Oven to 300 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine Rolled Oats, Flaxseeds, Sea Salt and Cinnamon.
- In a saucepan over low heat, melt the coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and water. Mix until well dissolved.
- Pour the coconut oil mixture over the dry ingredients and stir together. Add vanilla extract and almonds until completely blended.
- Lay evenly on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes, mixing periodically.
- Let stand to cool and stir in cherries.
- Allow to completely cool before storing in an airtight container.
Go ahead, play with your food!